Monday, March 23, 2015

A Mighty Change of Heart...


Mom--Thank you for sharing with me the story of Abinadi! It is so true that he laid down his life for the gospel and for what he knew to be the truth.  Thank you again for sharing this edifying story.
Something I would like to share what I learned as I studied this morning the importance of ‘Being Spiritually Reborn’ or in other words, ‘A Mighty Change of Heart’. They both have the same significance but why is it so important that we experience this change? As it is described in Mosiah, we learn be spiritually changed and transformed through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Alma declared:
Marvel not that all mankind, yea, men and women, all nations, kindreds, tongues and people, must be born again; yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters; And thus they become new creatures; and unless they do this, they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God” (Mosiah 27:25–26)
So, what are the fruits of having a change of heart? Well, first we exercise faith in Jesus Christ. Someone asked-- what is our purpose as missionaries? It is Faith, but not just Faith in general, rather Faith in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, which leads to have full reliance on the Atonement of Jesus Christ, which in turns, is the GREATEST Doctrine we can teach as missionaries. Another fruit of having a change of heart is, HUMILITY. When we are humble we are teachable and when we are teachable we learn, and when we learn we APPLY and ultimately when we apply we CHANGE. Great chapter.
Also, let me share a very humbling but yet funny story. So, here it goes:
Remember from last week's post of a lady we found while door knocking and she was amazingly nice? I hope you can remember. If not just read my last week's post! Well, we went to visit her as we had a follow-up appointment.
We visited and asked her how the reading of the Book of Mormon was going? 

By the way, I should mention that I personally like to teach with pictures because having pictures explain our message in a clear and efficient manner. Well, while we were teaching the restoration of the gospel out of the pamphlet (Jesus holding the lamb), as I was flipping the pages in the pamphlet, I asked her what did she see in the picture? She answered, "I see Love, Protection, Compassion, Peace, etc." I said –“that is exactly right, Maite”. While still pointing to the picture, I said this picture explains our message – “We share that Christ loves us and holds each and every one of us in His arms. I continued pointing to the lamb that Christ was holding and said, "…Y aquí usted es la vieja...." Her eyes got so big and my companion kept smiling. Then, I realized I mixed up the word for "old lady = vieja" rather than saying "sheep = oveja" ... It was so funny! I quickly apologized but all in all, we had had a good laugh. ‘Gotta love the mission life!’

I love y’all! 

-Hermanita Arce